Thursday, April 7, 2011

Here Comes the Sun






Yesterday I spent a blissful & beautiful day with my friend J. We met at the London Fields Lido (what? Don’t speak British? Lido = public outdoor swimming pool) and went for a nice long (kind of long, in a shortish way) swim. Then we sunbathed poolside next to some very cute babies for an hour or so.

During said sunbathing, I admonished J for not planning on bringing anything higher than SPF 30 on her upcoming trip to the Caribbean. I went on and on about how she needed SPF 50, AT LEAST (I mean I make Chris slather on SPF 70!) and she kindly withstood my barrage of advice. (“I mean, do you know how horrible sun stroke is? Blah, blah blah-di-blah,” harps Calamity Jane.)

After that we went for a nice vegan lunch at a restaurant run by hemp-wearing hippies who all volunteer their time. Damn hippies. Food’s great though. Anyway, we ate our tofu & bulgur burgers with avocado and jalapenos on the sidewalk in the BRIGHT AND BRILLANT SUNSHINE – it was GLORIOUS!

And then I prepared a picnic dinner for Chris and I to enjoy in the fading twilight of Hampstead Heath (romantic, wonderful, love-my-life) – and then we went home.. and I turned on the lights… and looked in the mirror…. and I was SUNBURNT!!!


But did I deserve it or what? I need to get me some SPF 50 baby, for the mean British sun.


And PS it was an absolutely gloriously sunny 70 degrees here today AGAIN! And it’s supposed to be the same tomorrow! Oh why isn’t my sea shipment with all my summer clothes here yet? Why?!



So, New Englanders, how’s that snow treating ya? Want to come visit us yet?




Here’s the *lovely* new insulated picnic bag I picked up at a charity shop for just 10 quid. (Charity shop = thrift store , quid = pound – there now you speak British.)

No comments:

Post a Comment