Thursday, April 14, 2011

Playing Travel Agent



And why have I not posted anything since last Friday? It’s because I’ve been playing that all-consuming, maddening game called let’s be our own internet travel agent.


I started off on Monday with great success. I booked Easy Jet tickets to Porto, Portugal for one week in the end of July for our one-year anniversary. Success!


But then I started to plan our long Easter weekend in Wales. There’s a bank holiday on Good Friday, and one on Easter Monday too – which means a nice four-day long break that involves no taking days off work for Chris – perfect! What could be simpler than planning a long weekend in Wales, right? Right?


Because it’s taken me more than four days and I still have yet to book anything, I hereby pronounce that all further long weekends and vacations booked by me will involve nothing other than a phone and a guidebook. Because clearly, I am paralyzed by the choice afforded by endless internet searches.


What happens is, I go to Trip Advisor, find the best ranked hotels and b&bs for our price range, and then debate between the top few picks (are there pubs within walking distance? is there parking? is it too touristy? yadayadayada) for so long that the rooms are no longer available, and then I have to start the review process all over again. I think this is the reason that Chris booked our honeymoon…. Actually, I know this is the reason.


But my indecisive self has come up with an (obviously) indefinite and still yet to be booked plan:


Friday

9am – pick up rental car in Waterloo (Chris booked this! Yay for decisive action!)

12pm – stop for lunch in some quaint town west of Birmingham (or MacDonald’s – because hey, they use 100% British beef so it’s kind of authentic)

1-4pm – see Conwy Castle

4pm – check into this B&B or this one in Llandundo (seaside resort town north of Snowdonia National Park - don't ask me to pronounce it though!)

5pm - explore beachfront

7pm – dinner


Saturday

Enjoy a Welsh breakfast (which from the description seems identical to an English breakfast - clearly nothing served in Wales can be tainted with the word "English")

Check out

Hike Snowdon Mt!!!

See Caernarfon Castle if there is time

Check in at this cute little B&B, or this one, in the southern part of Snowdonia National Park


Sunday

Church and 4 mile walk around the Mawddach Estuary

Barmouth Beach in the afternoon


photo credit


Monday

Mountain biking in the am for Chris

Check out of cute little B&B

Find something cool to see en route back to London! (maybe Tintern Abbey or somewhere else ancient and castle-y in Southern Wales?)



If you have any suggestions for my very hesitant self - please post a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    If you've got a few bob (ask Chris the meaning) have a look at staying at Bodysgallen in Llandudno (Thlan-did-no)
    Pete.

    ReplyDelete